Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Peanut Dressing
This is a simple salad to make, but is nutrient dense and any left over's make a great salad to take to work the next day. It is gluten free, if you select 100% pure Soba / Buckwheat noodles. You can also use rice or mung bean noodles instead. Adding the coriander, sesame seeds and a sprinkling of peanuts makes it both tasty and crunchy. You do not have to add the soya sauce, but it does add to the flavor, although, be sure to choose Tamari, which is gluten free.
½ cabbage, finely sliced, using a mandoline if possible (this will make about 4 cups of cabbage)
1 carrot, finely grated
5 or 6 spring onions, finely sliced, including their green leaves
bunch of fresh coriander, finely sliced (with a few leaves left to use as garnishing)
2 cups of frozen peas, blanched and cooled before adding to the salad
1 pkt 100% Soba / Buckwheat noodles, cooked according to instructions, and rinsed well under running water when cooked, until the water is clear
½ cup roasted peanuts
¼ cup sesame seeds
¾ cup crunchy peanut butter
½ cup coconut milk
¼ cup cold water
juice of a medium lemon
small garlic clove
½ tsp herb salt
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, while you wait for the noodles to cook.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender, and whizz together till smooth and creamy.
- Allow the noodles to drain well after you have rinsed them in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Combine the well-drained noodles with the other ingredients, add the dressing and toss quickly.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds and peanuts over the salad, with a few coriander leaves and serve.